iStock 178149727Disability Living Allowance

If you are living with tremor you may have some concerns about how you'll manage financially.

There is some financial support available.

This information explains what Disability Living Allowance is, who qualifies, how to claim and what information you need to supply when you claim.

Disability Living Allowance changes

The criteria for claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA) has recently changed.

  • It is now only available for under 16s who have some difficulties with walking outdoors or with everyday tasks at home, due to long-term health problems.
  • Others with these problems should look into claiming different benefits they're entitled to.
  • People aged 16-64 with these problems may be able to claim Personal Independence Payments. Over 65s should look into Attendance Allowance.
  • Over the next few years, people already claiming DLA will gradually move to these other benefits  - you will receive a letter about this.
  • You will not be moved over if you were aged 65 or over by April 2013 and are already claiming DLA.

(Source: Parkinson's UK)

Once forms have been completed, what happens next?

The form goes to a decision maker who can send a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) approved healthcare professional to visit you to carry out a medical examination.  

If you do not allow this visit, your claim will fail unless you can show ‘good cause’.  

If your application is refused then there is an appeal procedure and this can go as far as a tribunal.  All this will be clearly explained in a letter of refusal. 

There are several ways to claim

  • Call the benefit enquiry line on 0800 882200 for further advice and ask for a form to be sent to you.
  • Claim online or print a claim form from

Most Citizen Advice Bureaux (CAB) will assist in completing the form and may also be able to assist at any appeal hearing.

What other benefits might I be entitled to?

The CAB website at can provide you with the relevant information.

If you look at the front page on this site and click on benefits in the left hand column it will inform you of what you may be able to claim.  

You can also ask your local CAB to do a ‘benefit check’ for you, which will give you an idea of what you can claim.  

This service is confidential, so you can be sure your details are safeguarded.